As you probably know already, YouTube is a social media site where users can upload, view and make comments on videos on a wide range of topics - as long as they fit within YouTube's acceptable use/content policies.
Personally I have used YouTube as a teaching resource to find short video clips videos that I can then show to students. The clips I have used range from explanations of business concepts and theories produced by other teachers or students, to television adverts, tv & movie clips and news reports that provide examples of concepts and theories that I am currently teaching. So far I have not gone as far as producing and uploading my own videos but it is something that I am seriously considering. Many other educators are doing this and I am currently benefiting from all of their hard work. However, the videos do not always meet my needs and I sometimes have to fill in the blanks for my students or explain some of the terms/'Americanisms'(if that can be a word for the purpose of this post) to prevent/correct any misunderstandings. Generally, the videos I have used have been very well received and have helped to bring certain topics to life eg business ethics, economic theories etc. The videos have added a depth and a currency that would otherwise have not been possible in the classroom looking through textbooks. I have also begun to compile playlists of relevant video that I can then share with students as either a lesson or revision resource.
YouTube also presents potential for use as a way for students to research, find their own videos, compile their own video playlists, and sharing these with others. When used in the classroom the vast majority of my students have found YouTube without any help from me or issues. Simply because it is something that they are already aware of and use frequently. Another area of potential is the ability to make and upload their own videos. This could be great for group activities that would be brought to life if they were to be filmed in locations other than a classroom. For example, creating a news report about the latest government budget that was actually filmed outside parliament! The students can then upload and share this content with me the class who can then comment on their videos. Obviously the last aspect may require some policing but it's a really positive aspect of YouTube that students are able to share their work and immediately receive congratulations, feedback and validation of their efforts.
The only real issues I have come across whilst using YouTube have been concerned with the process of students searching for content. The main issue is their ability to search for something that isn't Rhianna's latest video. Typically I have found that their search words or phrases are too broad, or they find it difficult to filter through the 100's of search results and find a resource that fits the subject they are researching. Their frustration in this situation often leads to the second problem which is how easy it is for them to be distracted by other 'more interesting' content, such as Rhianna's latest video. One solution to this problem has been for me to educate them on how to search for videos, typically starting with a group discussion on what the keywords relating to our research are and how we can use them to find appropriate content.
YouTube Accessibility
YouTube is a very accessible tool for both students and teachers as it does not require a user account in order to access the vast collection of videos that are available. Once on the home page the layout is very clear and you don't need expert level computer skills to be able to search for videos. It is easy to identify the search bar, type in want you're looking for and get a selection of results.
It is also available via both a conventional PC/laptop computer and mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. This lends it a certain amount of versatility as students and teachers can access it's resources without needing direct access to a IT lab. This has been particularly useful in situations where direct access to college IT facilities have been limited. The real fun begins once you have registered for a user account. Then you can start creating and uploading videos from your laptop, pc, smartphone etc (see above).
No comments:
Post a Comment